Friday, July 13, 2007

M.B.A : Master of Business Analysis

Let me acknowledge that 3 weeks into the program is too early to size up what an M.B.A is all about . However, I refuse to let go of this opportunity , so here goes ! [ Disclaimer : I plan to revisit this blog entry after the course to validate my lemmas ]

So, I was initiated into thinking this up in my class on Managing Oraganizations ( "OB" as it is popularly known ). A question we posed in the course was this : " Should organizations follow a model where much of their product is developed in-house or should they follow a model where most of the development ( including core competencies ) are outsourced ? "
[ Some examples of the latter are Toyota, Bharthi Telecom . ]

Here's the problem :-
How do we answer the above query ?

Wait , let me make it glamorous :- Say you are the company executive who needs to take this decision tomorrow . Will the learnings from your b-school give you the answer ?

My Answer : Not really.
And that is exactly what I am trying to drive at in this post on the three letters M, B, A.

To me, an MBA is a course on Business Analysis ( not Administration ) . By analysis, I mean that the course teaches you exactly two things :-

1) Tells you how to analyse a given problem.

2) Hammers into you that you need to consider ALL possible options and evaluate them before making a decision . ( In this specific case, our Prof told us interesting things on how you need to account for a zillion costs - Costs of Production , Transaction Costs etc etc let me not get into those details... )

Anyway, my point is , What an MBA *does not* tell you how to do is - the vital 3rd step :

3) Making the decision !

Why ? Simply because this last step is entirely situation dependent. Had it been formulaic, somebody might have come up with a cool idea to replace Managers with slick computers already. Fortunately for the manager-types, of the several variables which go into decision making , many can never be 'quantize'd and crunched into numbers.

So decision making is much much more than that.

Enter the X factor . Call it " Experience " , " Intuition " , " Gut Feeling " or whatever you want. You might have all your grand theories in place about the Auto industry , but if you have never worked in the auto industry - you can rest assured the decisions you make will almost always go for a toss!

Let me quote Henry Mintzberg who drives the point home about MBA programs , " It is plain silly to take people who have never been managers - many of whom have not even worked full-time for more than a few years - and pretend to be turning them into managers in a classroom.......stop dumping management theories and cases on people who have no basis to judge the relevance. "

Can somebody take a comment from B-schools that advertise themselves to be creating the "leaders of tomorrow " in their classrooms ?


In the end, what does this all mean ? Are MBA programs nothing more than a burden on the exchequer ?
Not at all. There is no need to be pessimistic about the whole thing.

All we need to keep in mind is the river-horse analogy :
If we are the horses , an MBA is that which can , at the most, take us to the river.

Nope, it CAN'T make you drink water. Period.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Couldnt agree more, though I dont know what it feels like to be doing a MBA :P

In my limited experience of running a team, I have realized that a manager needs to have the ability to make quite a lot of decisions on a variety of issues. Most of the time you dont even get anything more than a few minutes to decide !! As I keep saying, he is typically the last link in any decision making process and most people tend to pass up the responsibility to him. Imagine being a technical manager where you are not just leading the technical aspect of your work, but also dealing with hajaar ppl issues, project schedules, company policies etc. I wonder if a kid out of college can really handle all that. Experience makes the decision making process all the more easier.

Ajith Prasad Balakrishnan said...

Well, I guess the decision part too will gradually come in.. Even if someone says that most decisions are actually made out of gut-feel and all, I'd say if u do that too often, the chances of u going wrong are more..It may / may notclick sometime.. We r having a course on strategic management.. I guess it'll be there for u in next quarter..That involves ways of analysing industries, SWOT etc and how to decide on certain things... Think about this topic during / after that paper :)

Hitchhiker said...

Most people hope, that an MBA would magically transform them into a leader without going thru the grind of painful ground work, introspection, and hard knocks about who one is in a work place and their leadership style. As you said (and I completely agree) MBA school can assist you on that journey, and possibly make it much easier, but to claim it *would* transform one into a leader :)...naah I dont buy into that.

Deepak said...

Most people are not looking forward to becoming leaders with an MBA from IIM. They are looking for hefty packages.

I'm just talking about the larger public who run after CAT. The simple truth is that they are only after the money.

On the other hand, I'll more than agree with you in the "leadership" topic.

Deepak said...

Hey dude. I've tagged you.

Rohith V said...

Completely agree with you.

I have always wondered what kinda "administering" skills does a MBA give you. I mean how many case studies, by solving which, you can device a formula. I absolutely agree that the whole course should be treated as an eye-opener to a various other parameters which eventually drives the decision.

And more, I have a few folks whole have done IIMs and whole now do big time number crunching. I mean, you could almost call them mathematicians. They do not administer anything. They just make a call on what a bunch of number tell them. I know this is just one kind of MBA but I believe that just an MBA tag beside your name doesn't make you a manager. Its only supposed to put more thought into your head on how to solve a given problem but not the solution to the problem itself.

Anurag said...

hey kandy
welcome to the world of mba :o)

right now...u feel mba takes u to the river n then u have to drink the water
let the first yr get over...n when u r used to listening to arbit cps in class...then maybe u would also feel that...it doesnt even take u to the river yaar...it just helps u get hold of a passerby and talk him into taking u to the river...matlab ki fart maarna :o)