I wrote my last exam at IIMB today.
The MBA, as I know it, is OVER. No, I am not emoting yet - it hasn't sunk in. I will reserve a separate post for the time when I get sentimental! (possibly after the last L^2)
I made a lot of friends at IIM. I wonder how many I will "keep in touch" with. I'll probably say that to everybody I meet over the next few days - but I know that is such an abused phrase. When I left Oracle, I thought I would never lose touch with my colleagues - today, I hardly talk to 2 or 3 of them regularly.
Makes me wonder : there are 3 circles of acquaintances we all have:
The "Like" circle
The "Dislike" circle
The "Indifferent" circle
The first circle comprise those people whom you really LIKE being with. The ones with whom you feel the urge to share ideas, opinions, cribs, and more importantly - the ones with whom you can be yourself - AND be comfortable, being yourself.
The "dislike" circle is the opposite - would be quite small for most people.
The largest of the 3 circles is the Indifferent circle. These are people who don't dislike you. It is just that they don't care. You have your life, I have mine :). We don't realize this, but almost 75% of all your acquaintances will belong to this category.
Managing your social relationships is about understanding the asymmetries between the 3 circles : You might place a friend in YOUR "like" circle, but he might place you in HIS "indifferent" circle - and vice versa!
It is interesting to see how these relationships will play out in the coming years.
For now, here's what I say to my "like" circle at IIMB:
I'll Keep in touch !!
1 comment:
You have already started creating these so called "theories" ... The circle theory in this case ... Way to go dude ! You are now READY for the management world :)
Post a Comment