This is an advertisment. Not for a soap, nothing tangible. I want to advertise an idea. I chanced upon this very well-written piece (Facebook has its uses after all !) and felt totally compelled to advertise it. Here you go :
http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/clicklit/entry/don-t-pity-us-arundhati-not-yet
It is amazing what Arundhati Roy manages to get away with. Don't get me wrong. By 'get away with' , I am not saying she got away with not being 'jailed' or 'punished'. She gets away with insulting your intelligence. I mean, her arguments are so supremely dumb : "Dalit" soldiers - ROFLMAO !! Even people born yesterday know that the Indian Army doesn't have a caste system.
Btw, I found "God of Small Things" boring and even kind of disgusting (couldn't even complete the book)...Really I don't know why she is what she is.
Well, feel free to disagree with me and the article above. I am probably "liberal enough" to allow comments. Whatever.
4 comments:
Even I came across this link somewhere on Facebook only! Here's her original statement he was referring to:
http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?267656
I found the blog quite petty. Anyone will agree Kashmir is a brutal military occupation at present. She never claims it is for all time. And whether it's the "most" brutal or not? There's no point arguing that.
Accusing her of complicity with Geelani is totally lazy journalism/blog writing. She says in her recent Tehelka interview (http://tehelka.com/story_main47.asp?filename=Ne061110CoverstoryII.asp)
"Speaking for myself, I disagree with many of his views, and I’ve written about it. I made that clear when I spoke. If he was the head of a state I lived in and he forced those views on me, I would do everything in my power to resist those ideas."
She has said that what happened to Kashmiri Pandits was bad, but she's more concerned with making sure the situation on the ground doesn't deteriorate further.
Dalit Soldiers was a stupid notion I agree.
This writer doesn't see how much money our Central Government is spending on the military occupation which could be used for other purposes??
She was responding to rumours about her imminent arrest. And we didn't know yet what the government would do. Should she have waited to get arrested before releasing this?
Anyway, that TOI piece is just shoddy research, factually incorrect and illogical.
Really I don't know why she is what she is
Totally agree. She gets bored and wants some cameras flashing. I don't see her being any different from a wannabe model, just that she wants to an "intellectual angle" to her.
I agree with what Pramod says.
And surely, the quality of her writing is not what we should use to gauge the quality of her arguments. She is not making statements and asking you to accept them as fact; she is making arguments and asking you to evaluate them. Saying "I was unable to finish her books" and "She doesn't deserve her fame" is an ad hominem attack of the most vicious, petty kind.
Haha - Dude (Anonymous):
Fair enough. I wasn't trying an ad hominem attack with the objective of weakening her argument.
But I do find her books boring and she doesn't deserve the fame ! That's a subjective opinion. And I am expressing it. So chill.
Post a Comment