Sunday, August 10, 2008

Table Tennis and Sweet Revenge

We thrashed IIM Calcutta in Table Tennis.

BIG TIME (read Straight sets)

If I may modestly add - under my 'able captaincy' :))

Oh - Sweet revenge !
(after having lost to them exactly a year ago , a match that we should have ideally won! )

Feels great to break the Jinx - IIM Bangalore won a Table Tennis event for the FIRST TIME in the History of Inter-IIM Sports! Yo!

The credit should go to my entire team - we practiced hard , we had some amazing talent in the first years - and history created itself :)

The overall scoreline read 15 games to 2 in IIMB's favour. Wow! what a victory!
I wonder how IIM-B ends up with such good players across ALL sports , I firmly believe PGSEM is huuuuge advantage ;)

The last two days were a lot of fun. Quite an enthu first year batch - those innovative slogans for cheering and those creative songs LOL LOL .
I have to admit - some were on the vulgar side - but they were so funny, I'll have to condone them (that parody of the famous 'Jhandu Balm Jhandu Balm' song hehehe...sorry, I am a spoilsport , I won't put it here!)

Ah, now this brings me to the larger question of swear-word usage that is being hotly debated on www.pagalguy.com

My take on the issue:
1) The 'tax-payer' statement was too stupid , especially by pagalguy standards (a forum I admire)
2) I wonder if colloquial Hindi is 'inherently' abusive. The abuses in that video are one of the MOST common ones that you will hear ACROSS college campuses. Next time, try evesdropping into a conversation of young, educated, (hindi speaking) youth at say, a Pizza Hut - almost always - you will hear a casual B**HOD, M**HOD doing the rounds( Tell me you haven't heard THE campus song of the year : BC sutta ) . Very, very contrasting to my mother tongue. At least , the educated class NEVER uses the 'Kannada equivalents'. The maximum I go upto with my closest friends is "Nimmajji" !! :D

There is some deep cultural issue here. Here's some interesting projects for you social scientists : 'Linguistics: On Why Anatomical references are tolerated in some languages ', or 'Demographic Trend in Abuses: why Gaali is a Fundamental Right for the Youth '

Oh, Forget it I am raving.....- Its time celebrate the victory at L^2 tonight !!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Skipper!

Deepak said...

Congratulations mate!

And good analysis on expletives.. Maybe you should write a paper named "Study of the regional impact on the expletive vocabulary of Indians" :P

Pramod Biligiri said...

Hey..congrats kano!

Bangalorean said...

Nimmajji isn't bad. There are worse words, but I think Vinay will curse me if I mentioned them here and corrupted your mind!

Bangalorean said...

Oops I forgot I had logged into the wrong account.
- Tia, http://thesushieparlour.wordpress.com

wnwek said...

You gotta admire the tenacity of the campus... They come every year, expecting to beat us, and then get drubbed like the Romans in Asterix. :P